Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Weekly Reading Response

                                                                         POETRY

When it comes to poetry I was never a big fan. I don't know if it was just because I never really gave it a chance or because I never thought to look deeper at the meaning behind the actual words being said. I have to read some poems over and over again to really understand what the author is trying to convey. Other times it is clear and straight to the point. I usually like the clear and straight to the point poems over the more difficult ones that take longer to interpret. I hope I learn to like poetry as I go through this course. I would love to find interesting and engaging was of teaching poetry to my future students.

In the poem Where it Passes, Untouchable. I liked the part "brother who betrays me into greed, I've prayed your glass would cut my feet." I felt like the author was trying to express the hurt he felt by someone in his life that has betrayed him. A person he once thought of as a friend. Another poem I found interesting was In the Tree. It made me think of being tired and thinking of random things to help me sleep. An interesting part of the poem I liked was "Soaked with plenty of water, my brain swells. And grows heavy." I felt that this describes how the feeling of being exhausted felt to the author.

                                                             Writing Down the Bones

I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. I felt like Goldberg had some good advice about writing. Goldberg says "1. keep your hand moving. 2. Don't cross out. 3. Don't worry about spelling, punctuation, grammar. 4. Lose control. 5. Don't think. Don't get logical. 6. Go for the jugular."(10). This gave me a new way of looking at writing. I never wrote for fun always for school work. Thought as long as I wrote what the teacher wanted I would be fine. This gave me a new way of looking at writing just to let lose and see what comes to mind.

I always wondered why I wasn't good at writing always wanted to write just never knew what about or if I was comfortable with someone else reading it. I was always shy never wanted to give an opinion about anything. I wish I had the courage to keep a journal growing up to see how much I have grown over the years. I liked how Goldberg says "It is odd that we never question the feasibility of a football team practicing for long hours for one game; yet in writing we rarely give ourselves the space for practice."(14). It makes so much sense the more you practice the better you become in whatever you chose to do and yet when it comes to writing I never really thought to practice always thought it was either you were born a writer or you were not.

No comments:

Post a Comment