Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Reading Response 4/1

The beginning of the book Maps to Anywhere, reminded of when I was younger and my siblings would give each other nicknames that they thought were funny. It also reminded me of when I was younger and I would go to the store looking for a keychain with my name on it and never finding one. I would wonder why they had so many names but never mine. My siblings also have unique names that also were never on keychains either, which made me feel better, but it still made me mad that I couldn't have a keychain with my name on it.

I found it interesting how the character Bernard was so interested in names and how he would make up his own names. "Unfortunately, my schoolwork suffered as a result of my passion for nomenclature. In biology, for instance, instead of concentrating on the position and function of the bones in the skeletal system, I imagined Ulna, Tibia, and Fibula as visitors from outer space" (Cooper, 5). It was interesting how Bernard made everything about names.

1 comment: