Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Reading Response 3/25

The stories that I read in the essay packet were full of detail and imagery. I read the story Suspended by Joy Harjo. I was able to picture how small she had to be from the detail she gave. "Once I was so small that I could barely peer over the top of the backseat of the black Cadillac my father polished and tuned daily" (Harjo). I also was able to know that the main character was telling a story about a memory she had because she was only able to remember certain details. "I don't know where we were going or where we had been, but I know the sun was boiling the asphalt, the car windows open for any breeze as I stood on tiptoes on the floorboard behind my father," (Harjo). I liked the detail that the main character was able to give about her father. "a handsome god who smelled of Old Spice, whose slick black hair was always impeccably groomed, his clothes perfectly creased and ironed" (Harjo). I was able to picture what the main character's father looked like.

In the story the Blue Merchant, I found that it was really detailed and gave the reader great visuals as they read through the story they will be able to imagine what the author wants them to see. "The bass player plugs into the amplifier, checks the settings on the control panel and nods his okay" (Washington). Being that the story was short it had a lot of detail that explains the author's purpose of writing. It shows what the author was thinking about during the time of when the story was written.


1 comment: