Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Reading Response 2/4

                                                                   Tocqueville

Most of the poems in Tocqueville have such deep meaning it is hard for me to find the meanings in them. I find that the author is living out memories from his past writing them in such a way that gives the reader only a glimpse into his life. Expressing certain parts of memories that he has making the reader only imagine what he's really try to say. The reader is uncertain of the true meaning of each of the poems, which is where I fall as a reader.

The poem Ecclesiastes, has a kind of feel of a way therapist might be questioning his career. The tricks to getting someone to open up to him using rules that he has learned over time. Expressing thoughts that have crossed his mind when dealing with certain patients. Showing how the influence of someones parents have on that person's identity. "And when they say "too much," give them a plan"(Mattawa, 7). Having a plan to help them get through hard times that they maybe facing in their lives.

The poem Terrorist, gives me a feeling that the author lost his brother and is trying to understand how to deal with his death. "Will I be a victim again? and again a murderer?" (Mattawa, 17). I feel like he feels like a victim for losing his brother but then again like a murderer for not being able to save him. The poem though confuses me when the author states "Every breath I inhale is the cold wind that makes us embrace like statues of eternal lovers" (Mattawa, 17). I don't know now if his brother has been killed or has killed?


No comments:

Post a Comment